Wednesday, January 26, 2011

I Am A Poet

I used to joke with my friend back in college, about how we were poets of the English language. No, not the kind of poets who rhyme every sentence or even speak in meters, the kind of poet who could leave you hanging on my every word. Until recently, did I notice that there was some truth to that statement. In my life journey thus far, I have been accused several times of using my words ambiguously. I won't deny that I do, because fact of the matter is I do. I will just let you figure out and listen how I do next time we talk.

As human beings we are always trying to figure out how and why people deliver their words. This is what makes politicians who they are in our world and a big reason why they are in power. The same could be said for CEOs and anyone in power really. They have the ability to captivate us as an audience and make us feel like we are confident in the direction that want to lead us.

I find this topic interesting because of a certain politician who recently promised hope and change, but never really defined what they truly meant. However, his broad ideas kept a lot of people in suspense. His campaign reminded me of my studies in history of JFK. JFK was a young, good looking guy who ran a campaign geared to the younger people in those times. The women, specifically, hung on every word he said because he was ambiguous in his delivery.

Speech is a very powerful tool that we use in everyday life. Some people get it and a majority don't. Those that get it tend to have high profile careers or you see/hear about them in the media or hell, even on your local college campus. The art of speech can bring someone from nothing to riches.

No comments: